|By Ashutosh Karnatak|
"The key of happiness is accepting an unpleasant reality every day”
What is the real meaning of life – everybody will have its own meaning, but in the meantime everybody will agree to the fact is that bottom-line is “Happiness”.It is neither riches nor bungalows nor vehicles nor power .It is something else – which can not be purchase but only realized.
In today’s context, when man is striving to meet the ends and being grinded continuously between the situations, some moment of happiness also have their genuine right in the life of the individual.As such no law of the earth denies the right of happiness, but the man himself does not allow it to enter into the life. What a paradox …
Before going further, it is essential to establish some facts about happiness:
-Alice Walker, Author
Sources of Happiness: It is worth to see that the sources of happiness and how we translate each of the parameters into the reality and derives happiness out of it. By and large all the working people have following sources which attributes to happiness and unhappiness of individual:
What Researchers say?
1)Impact of Genes: In 1996 David Lykens of University of Minnesota published paper looking at roles of genes in determining one’s sense of satisfaction in life and gathered information on 4000 sets of twins. After comparing happiness data, came to conclusion that about 50% of ones satisfaction with life comes from genetic programming. (Genes influence such traits a shaving a sunny, easygoing personality, dealing well with stress and feeling low levels of anxiety and depression). Further he found that circumstantial factors like income ,marital status ,religion and education contributes only 8% to one’s overall well being .He attributes the remaining percentage to life’s slings and arrows .
2) Result of Study :On study of worldwide population has revealed that :
Measure your Happiness: How happy are you? Based on the following, the Satisfaction with life scale was devised in 1980 by University of Illinois psychologist Edward Diener, a founding father of happiness research. Since then the scale (1) has been used by researcher around the world.
Read the following five statements. Then use a 1 to 7 scale to rate you level of agreement.
Not all True Moderately True Absolutely True
1) In most ways my life is close to my ideal.
With the above background, one shall be able to identify state of happiness .From here further journey starts which shall take you to various transit camps, shall have capability to generate gradually a sense of happiness within you .It would be like mixing of happiness hormone within self and one would always like to be at that state of mind. In case due to any reason your mind deviates from the base level, it would try to come to that level at the earliest.
How to have Happiness: Panacea to get happiness is neither through some machine nor through some tablet. The only way is to know self and change in perception of different situations in life. Still some of ways are as under:
1) Know yourself Identify things which makes you elated or area of interest: It is essential to understand that our total life is centered on us; we and only we are controller of our life. Whatever is required to be done, it is with us – with our body and mind .So the requirement is to know ourselves:
2) Have One level up: It’s a conceptual aspect. Readers may react to it after giving a thought to it.
Elated, Happy, Hopeful, Optimistic
3) Help Others: It is a well established fact that helping others fetches you happiness. Help others as much as you can. By doing so when even you are not unhappiness zone. The feel of helping others contributes in taking you out from that zone. In remembering the event makes one happy. Help can be of any form financial, physical or from sweet words. The last option is very easy – at least speak sweet with others.
4)Take blessings: Researchers found out that paying gratitude is a tool of happiness. Better note down the things for which you are thankful and express them. Unhappiness is generally on account of ego and on the contrary when you take blessing of others its makes you more confident and happy. Try it ….
5) Be Optimistic: Optimism is basic tool of happiness. Always see the half glass of water as Half filled not half empty. Always look for brighter side of the issue in any problem. Every problem has its solution inside it, but human being gets ruffled immediately. Be optimistic for the solution. So –no worry and happiness shall pervade everywhere.
6) Be you own CFO (Chief Happiness Officer): We have happiness but we don’t want to remain happy. We allow circumstances to cast over and make us unhappy. It is also very clear that life is full of problems which hover in life one by one. It is solely on the individual to allow overcastting of circumstances on sate of happiness .You are your own CHO (Chief Happiness Officer) – You have to decide how to derive and maintain happiness in mind.
7) Have different weightage: Overall happiness index is a measure of happiness of an individual which one extracts from the different sources. The weightage of parameters is different for each individual i.e. can have 20% weight age for profession , whereas other can put 50% to it , thus in case of any setback in this parameter the loss of happiness relatively will be more for the person putting more weightage .
Thus one can have weight differently for different parameters and it is variable of time and mental state. In this competitive life the weightage given by the individual on profession is much more than others, thus any setback on this account causes dejection, frustration, depressions etc. It has got direct impact on other areas particularly on family and a vicious circle is formed. It is pertinent for a human being to derive happiness from other sources, in such conditions and endeavor should be to have balance among all area of operations.
Readers are requested to understand the concept part of these lines. One should strive for happiness as happy as he can, understanding that no one can be perfectly happy. Generally, people deprives themselves from happiness either by remembering their pat or thinking about the future .What disturbs people’s mind are not events but their judgment on event. So a caution is required on framing the attitude and condition of mind and a constant vigil us required, which can be achieved by doing deliberate practice and one can be happy in all the moments of life.
Let us try to be happy and disseminate happiness among masses.
(1)TIME Magazine ,Feb. 2005 : The new Sciences of Happiness
Quotes of the Month
•Growth of Hair: Use Almonds soaked in water helps growth of hair.
Future Forecast: From 16 March - 15 April 05
Auspicious Days : 16,21,22,30 March and 3, 4, 5,8,12 April