By Ashutosh Karnatak
“Life is not a 'brief candle'. It is a splendid torch that I want to make it to burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.”
– Bernard Shaw
Our life is a struggle and full of strife. Everyday , there is a challenge to be encountered. When one problem is over, another one knocks at the door, and the struggle seems everlasting. But no problem is everlasting and all of them have some solution or other. Man is the nerve center of all actions and it depends on how he behaves under such circumstances and deals with the situation. It is analogous to the situation faced by Abhimanyu in the Mahabharata. When he got caught in the maze, he was put to innumerable tests, but yet could come out unscathed. But he never lost heart. The morale of the story always be OPTIMISTIC till the very end.
Optimism leads to Hope, Energy, Liveliness and success .To understand Optimism better, let’s see a real example of how it can solve a problem.
"A person known to me had a heart attack and got himself admitted in hospital. After some time his systems slowed down and finally doctors declared him dead and he was covered with a white sheet. Another colleague of ours stood beside the body, contemplating about the untimely demise. Suddenly he felt as if there was a vibration inside the white cover, and he felt a ray of optimism. He summoned the doctors to check, and to our surprise my friend was indeed alive, and continues to remain so. So keep up your optimism, it can even help to the extent that a dead person can come back to life.”
Are you an Optimist? Here is a simple way to see gauge your level of Optimism.
A person is likely to adopt a concept or idea only when it is advantageous to him. Keeping this concept as backdrop, lets see the advantages of being an Optimist.
1) Better Health: As one traversing through adulthood and crosses the age of 40, he becomes more concerned about his health. This is because, as by that time, he must have achieved a good financial position, ensued good schooling for children, achieved a comfortable atmosphere at home, but his health starts deteriorating due to aging. If he does not have an optimistic outlook, the effect on the health is magnified. Hence, it is important to have more optimism while aging.
Dr.Benard Lown M.D. a Nobel Prize winner in his book The lost art of healing, mentions that “Faith and optimism have life giving qualities.”
Hippocrates the father of medicine, said “for some patient, though conscious that their position is perilous, recover their health simply through their contentment with the physicians.” That comes from trust, which a doctor promotes by conveying optimism.”
A new study conducted by researchers at the Psychiatric Center GGZ Delfland, Delft, the Netherlands, suggests that highly optimistic people have lower risk of all-cause death, and lower rates of cardiovascular death than those with high levels of pessimism. The team led by Erik J. Giltayand colleagues analyzed data from the Arnhem Elderly Study to test whether participants who are optimistic live longer than patients who are pessimistic. From the above, it has been scientifically proven that optimism reduces all types of health hazards and improves health. So why not to have optimism.
2) Ease in work and more success: It a known fact that a man with optimism has less personal ego and finds himself better placed in the amidst others. He receives cooperation from others in getting any job done, thus overcoming impediments and resistance. This leads to more success. An optimistic person always gets help more easily from others than a pessimist can. A pessimistic person often leaves a job undone, as soon as some hurdle is comes up,, under the pretext, why he should trouble himself with the problem, when he can just move away from it. On the contrary an optimistic person would try to tackle that hurdle with a thought in his mind , “ let me attempt once more” This “Once More” syndrome is a key to success.
3) Better acceptability in society: As per Maslow’s theory of needs, social recognition is one of the premier needs of a man. An optimistic person often garners more respect in society. People see him in a different light. His words are valued by others. People look towards to solve their problems, as an optimistic person always strives for a solution. People like to talk to such a person as he inspires others. They get energized after talking to him.
4) Desire to live: As mentioned earlier, our life is full of struggles. Day in and day out we have to scuffle with difficult situations, and very often, someone breaks down thinking that his life is a burden. Under such circumstances, an optimist would never desire to give up, but rather take the situation as a challenge and fight back. An Optimist enjoys the life given by God. He not only generates desires within himself, but also inspires others to live and enjoy.
How do you develop optimism
Caution: Optimistic person is required to have one caution. They tend to be OVERCONFIDENT. Therefore here is an advice to optimistic people“
Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.”
"Optimism means expecting the best, but confidence means knowing how to handle the worst. Never make a move if you are merely optimistic." – The Zurich Axioms
After knowing the advantage and precaution, it is essential to know different techniques for practicing OPTIMISM. Some of them are as under:
1) Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow: Every day is new day and previous day becomes past and coming day is the future. Every day is a new day for us, which need to be handled with optimism. It should not have shadow of yesterday. Generally out yesterdays or years overcast our present and consequently our life gets disturbed. Better to Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
2) Living in Present: Consider every moment is the new moment and requires to be lived accordingly. Present is the moment which needs to be lived before it becomes past.
3) Dawn follows Dusk: Life is not always in the same pattern and ups and downs are bound to come. Optimistic persons sees light after every darkness and waits for it and with this hope he travels in the journey of life and ultimately with this hope and optimism they get one day the required result. Believe firmly on the fact,” Dawn Follows Dusk.” May be some nights are longer than others, but it is definite that Dawn follows dusk. Requirement is to maintain patience.
4) It is not the end of life: End of the life happens only once , which is of course not in our hands .But before that generally after having any failure ,we feel that it is the end of life an we shall not be gain any thing in life . Despite of all my labor nothing was received. I won’t want to live. Such pessimistic thoughts shall not be able to retrieve the situation but definitely cause problems for future. It is not the end of the world or life. Total future is in front of you and failures are not permanent, tomorrow you are going to succeed. Take inspiration from the following quote,
“I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
-- Michael Jordan
5) Future is bright: Last but not the least, past may have bitter experience, present is today and tomorrow is unknown to us. Consider it as brighter than earlier .Why not to think about brighter side of the situation. With hope that future is brighter, take the life in stride and be optimistic .
So decision is yours, be optimistic – be happy.
Pl Give your feedback.
Future Forecast( November 2009)
By Dr. Ashutosh K.
Better to maintain low profile during the month; One side the health of the life partner will be cause of concern and on the other side superiors in office will not be very happy; avoid unnecessary expenditures; mental agitation will impede in taking some decision; children part will also be cause of concern.
This month will welcome you with win over enemies; inflow of money is also indicated; some of your action shall give you prestige in the society; Some new ventures can be started; physical fatigue will be experienced due to fatigue.
Health of children shall be cause of concern; financial matter needs careful handling; educational pursuits shall fetch dividends; purchase of property can be under taken; Heart related disease may disturb you; Mental disturbances at the end of the month are also indicated.
Better to maintain a low profile in activities; Mental agitation and tension shall brew in the mind, which may impede in various activities; difference in opinion may arise with nearest kith and kin; younger brother /sister shall rise in their career; efforts to lead luxurious life shall be done.
Courageous actions taken by you will yield name and fame ;opposition shall be defeated; regaining of blocked money is indicated; by and large health will be good; new connections will be profitable; some of your associates will be helpful in development of your career; Take care of health of your family members in the second half of the month .
Take a exhausted stick of your financial position; unnecessary expenditure s need to be checked at initial stage ; As far as possible arguments need to be avoided; children education and health will be cause of concern; first half of the month is better than second; New works should be ventured after 17th November only .
Avoid boastfulness in day to day dealing, it would hamper your actions; have patience in getting result of some of the activities undertaken; disease pertaining to eyes will be experienced; opposition of your own relations need to be taken as positive feedback and correct yourself; Later half of the month will give you good news on account of your children.
Health of the life partner will be cause of concern and possibilities of difference of opinion is also there; Financial aspects need to be taken care of ,unnecessary expenditure need to be curbed; new ventures should be kept under hold for time being.
This month will be by and large good; where one side gains will be there on the other side professional advancements are also indicated; incomplete works will be completed and shall give satisfaction; Peace and harmony will prevail at home; dominance in society will be waning and works will be appreciated; Long journeys are indicated.
Success in different undertakings are indicated; Pending money will be received after a long time; social recognition will enhance and favor from superiors will be received; birth of children is also indicated or good news on progress of children will be received; Harmony will prevail at home; unnecessary expenditures need to be avoided .
This month will be of mixed nature; ill health of father will be a cause of concern; help from associates and superiors shall be extended; experience of luxurious items shall be taken; during the second half of the month inclination towards religious activities will increase and introduction with religious leaders is indicated.
Low profile need to be maintained during the month; One side, financial loss shall be experienced and on the other side mental tensions due to family matters shall be there; dissatisfaction will prevail in the mind due to not getting results as per requirements; better to go some temple for getting mental solace.